Technorati, Blogs in Schools, and Superintendents
How familiar is anyone with using Technorati? I know a little bit about it and have heard the term bandied about with regularity. To learn more, I checked out the Technorati: About Us page and the thing that struck me was their comment: "Technorati is a real-time search engine that keeps track of what is going on in the blogosphere — the world of weblogs." I did a blog search for blog and reached an error page stating we weren't claimed and presented with a small box with html tags to place in our blog. As a librarian, 'tagging' my blog appeals to me in an organizational kind of way. Anyone utilizing this tool?
An article on Webblogg-ed was posted last week titled Getting Serious about Blogs in Schools caught my attention, especially when it detailed how much students have changed in this digital age and how we, as educators, need to be able to keep up. Of additional interest was the link to a post by Chris Lehmann, currently the Principal of the Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia. Lehmann's post, Talking to 49 Superintendents, is a great piece which begins with the attention grabbing line "Tell them that our schools have to change or die." While neither of these blog articles are higher education specific, they are of interest because we are in many ways dealing with the same, continuing student body; freshman not far removed from high school.


3 Comments:
I've claimed my blog and set up an alert on Technorati to help me find OhioLINK news and mentions. I monitor my alert via an RSS feed and find it very convenient and helpful. It's amazing what shows up. I have also set up similar alerts at Google, Yahoo, and PubSub. I'd encourage anyone who wants to formally or informally monitor what is being said about your library to do likewise. I wrote a bit about this here.
Thanks for the information Candi. I will definitely take a closer look at these tools.
Diane ... I read the 49 Superintendents piece and while I agree our schools have to change (including higher education) I am not at all convinced that the redemption of our educational process is any way related to Web 2.0. I have always thought that the best education is not measured by the quality of student answers, or even much by a specific pedagogy, but by the quality of faculty questions. If Web 2.0 tools encourage us to ask better, more thought provoking questions then the tools are valuable.
Post a Comment
<< Home