Blogging Goes to College: Brainstorming Weblog Use in Higher Education

A blog for participants of the Blogging Goes to College: Brainstorming Weblog Use in Higher Education session.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Questions of Policy

Thanks Candi and Paul for opening this blog to posts from workshop attendees. This is a great collaborative endeavor.

I was very interested to see Paul mention part of our discussion would include the issue of blog policy. I agree that policy and guidelines are necessary, but wonder if too much policy negates what we are trying to accomplish with blogging as a whole. I do not mean common sense blog policy (do not blog anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to see) verses blogging that can get you fired, but guidelines that will be established before the blog is open to the public, students, faculty, and the blogosphere. Do we spend so much time developing the policy that the blog never comes to fruition?

I am also curious as to how people who are blogging in libraries now are answering to those who just don't "get" blogging and what the buzz is about. Are you able to convince others to participate? Do you find yourself spending a lot of time explaining what it is you want to accomplish with blogging.

2 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger BookGirl said...

I am SO glad that someone else is thinking about how we convert those diehard, technologically challenged, faculty and students (yes, the do still exist!) to use blogging as a source for discussion and information. At SSCC, we have the disadvantage of a diverse student population, where ages range from 15 to 70, and some students come from areas in southern Ohio that still can't get a decent Internet connection. How do we market this so that it appeals to all of the groups we represent? How do we even explain it so others can understand?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger pjkobulnicky said...

Hi all ... back (reluctantly) after five straight days off ... too many days off and it becomes a habit.

Regarding policy discussions ... I'm thinking that we do this last and that we brainstorm the issues rather than the solutions. What policy questions do we need to be alert to as we move blogging into the academy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home